Friday, July 8, 2011

Riverton City Fireworks July 2 2011

We had our monthly family party on Saturday July 2nd, (got some great family shots and too much sun) afterwards my brother in law invited us to watch the fireworks put on by their city. We met later at a corner that over looked the city park and would allow us to view the fireworks and avoid the crowds. We set up on the parking strip of a Wells Fargo bank on the corner of Redwood Road and 12600 south. As I was setting up I began talking to the family setting up next to us and met an awesome photographer namedDarwin (who happened to know my bro-in law-small world)  we talked about photography the whole time which is one of those things about photography that I love, no matter where you are if you find someone else that's into photography you've made a friend. He gave me some great tips that really helped since this was my first time shooting fireworks with the D7000.   Despite the sprinklers turning on towards the end of the display necessitating a hasty retreat to the safety of the parking lot we had a great time, and I was pleased with the shots I got. Here are a few;  all needed some cropping (love that 16mp resolution) and a little post work, nothing fancy just some subtle levels or curves work. All were shot with the 18-200mm VRII , manual mode at various exposure times, and at various focal lengths, aperture was f/11 (great tip from Darwin) and triggered with a cable shutter release.

one of my favorites from the night!

I liked the rogue cascade burst at the topanother rogue cascade

There wasn't too many of these high cascading shells, but the ones they did have were fun

Green was a popular color

The burst at top reminds me of a Asian Lily

A stack of the big ones going off together

Feathery trails
A fun time! It was great getting to talk to Darwin, I hope you'll check out his shots on his flickr page, he has some amazing wildlife and action shots on there!
I took some shots on the 4th when we did our family fireworks but I'll spare you those as they're much less impressive...
Hope you had a great weekend,  happy shooting!

No comments:

Post a Comment