Monday, April 18, 2011

Getting to know your Camera (aka: RTM)

What and where is the "Command Dial"? How many "Image Recording Options" are there?
You don't know? Well then read the manual!!(RTM) Answers are found on pg. 13 & pg. 85
Read this first!
I know how dare I tell you to read the manual, as a guy I'm supposed to just know how it works or be able to figure it out on my own, that's what tough guys do right? Well maybe you're (I'm) not tough(Even though I like to think that I am), or even a guy for that matter. But this is a complicated piece of gear and it has a million and one options in it that will have subtle to profound effects on your photography, so you really need to understand what's going on in the camera and how to influence it.
The easiest, cheapest, and fastest way to learn those things is by reading the manual.  I've found it best to just take it one section at a time and to have the camera there with me to push the buttons, see the menus, and click options on and off.  I learn best by doing and that helps it sink into my thick head. I know manuals aren't the best literary specimens. They can boring, dry, and technical but hey it's free, and it's written by the same people that made the camera.  Also it's small enough you can and should keep it with your camera in whatever bag you use.
After reading the manual however if you still feel a little lost overwhelmed or undereducated about your camera I would highly suggest looking into checking out from your local library or buying a book written specifically for the D7000, such a list can be found here. I've actually been reading this book as it's the only one I could find at our local Barnes and Noble store since our local Borders closed down last month. But I'm really enjoying it. These books are your camera manual only in glorious color with photography tips, examples, and hints.  A big plus is that they are written from a photographer/users point of view as opposed to an engineers view. This means they're easier to understand and look better. The drawback is they cost money (unless you go to the library) and they're a bit bigger, although some of the options look like they'll be able to be carried into the field with you, most however haven't been published yet so keep looking, it seems that most of them should be out by late summer 2011.
Ok that was a really boring post and I apologize but first things first, start to learn what your controls are so we can start to use them to create images, and have them look how we want them to. We'll get started on doing just that in the next post.
Now get reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment